As usual political footballers are using this latest crash to insult Buhari for not attending the funeral of the recently deceased chief of army staff (COAS) that died in the plane crash (personally I do not know the protocols and don’t care because it is not as important as what might be really going on). Similar people shouted that Buhari should change the service chiefs – which he did in January 2021, and then I still recall people saying the new COAS was sacked before for incompetence in 2017 and now mostly the same people are saying Buhari cannot go to the funeral of said incompetent COAS… blah blah blah it as so circular, politics of personality – these people only hate Buhari if someone else carries out similar policies they would close ranks around such a person. Their issue is the oppressor and not oppression.
There are curious observations to be made (disclaimer: I am not saying one thing leads to another, I am just making observations and putting things in a time-line fashion) in terms of security in the Sahel region, also world politics giving consideration to the activities of colonial/imperialist countries like America and France. America is trying to dial down its imperialist terrorist activities from the middle east and Africa so it can focus on Russia and China (suicide). In the background other NATO/imperialist countries are jostling for more to grab in the middle east and Africa e.g. in Libya, Syria France and Turkey are investing more of their time and resources to grab more.
1. Chad’s president Idriss Deby dies fighting terrorist just a day after winning power for a sixth term. He had been in power for 30 years after taking over in a coup in 1990. He was a total French lackey and was not popular among the people except for tiny groups in his minority tribe and some in the military which he controlled based more on his personality than anything else.
The circumstances behind his death is still unknown, we only have the word of the top soldiers. While he was alive, he was a strong ally of America and France in particular not only in terms of security operations and training but opening up Chad to financial tech capital (FINTECH) and access to oil.
2. His son Mahamat Idriss Deby takes over in a military coup because they (him and the military council) suspended the legislative assembly and constitution. They say it is for stability reasons and have crushed protesters asking for a democratic transition. France and America has given their blessings and cite the same for stability reasons and say it is just for 18months.
In some quarters it is suggested that Mahamat may have had a hand in his dad’s death.
3. Mahamat visits Abuja and is received by Buhari, basically Nigeria has accepted the coup government and is falling in line with France. Interestingly it appears Buhari believes Idriss Deby was murdered. Anyways Nigeria has recognized the Chadian coup government – basically in the interest of stability a coup government is granted legitimacy – after its former president died/was murdered, to preserve democracy. Hahaha make it make sense!
4. Buhari the president of Nigeria goes to France for a submit and on the side, he meets to discuss security, oil & gas, financial tech & loans and debt relief. He is asking for debt relief and pledging to open up more of the country for gas exploration, financial tech and security/intelligence sharing (mind you France already runs intelligence & data operations in the country). France has interest in oil & gas, intelligence, FINTECH in countries like Libya, Sudan, Chad, Mozambique and Nigeria. This is all open source reporting from various papers I have read over time.
Similar interest in different countries on the continent. The pressure of new generation technology and climate change adds some sort of pressure to the dynamics.
5. Boko haram leader Abubakar Shekau is reportedly killed on May 20, 2021 (for the 5th time now?) by a rival group ISWAP. We have no real information as to what happened. The story is coming out in drips. It seems where he is buried is unknown too but yet we hear he has been buried. It is shrouded in the typical Nigerian secrecy – nothing is transparent in Nigeria and even if you have data or information you have to be very skeptical. There is information about his death, who may have been behind it and what may have transpired but no information about his body or if he is really dead this time.
6. COAS of Nigeria dies a plane crash (third plane crash with military people in the last 3 months – Feb 2021, April 2021) on May 21, 2021 on board the plane were other top military people. This could have just been an accident but I must with the first two crashes we were told an investigation would be carried out and till now no information and here we have a third crash. Very curious! And like I had said, this latest plane crash is being used as a football now in Nigeria.
We should be looking at the new replacement of the military people that died, we should look at how the terrorism fight goes from here, we should look at Chad, Libya, Sudan, Mozambique because we are all connected. I know it is difficult because everything is not transparent to the regular observer and the government puts effort in making things opaque but somehow, we must still be observant and put the snippets together – think for yourself.
The waters are muddy, even with curious observations the waters are muddy.